Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Dark Feeling of PPD

When I had PPD there were days where I felt dark, alone and like I would never be myself again. I wanted PPD to end but the ending was not coming soon enough. With PPD I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep and I couldn't even do the things normal people did from day to day to function. I was a complete mess and I felt like no one around me understood my problems or my pain. People would says things like “it will be over soon" (this was a lie), and some people even tried to pray it away. I am a very spiritual and God fearing person and I felt that this was something I had to bare. Immediately prayer would not change everything and I would not soon get over it. My PPD lasted me about 2 years and it took prayer, medication, love and therapy to get through it.

I believe that one of the hardest steps with PPD is admitting you need help and being willing to accept the help that is given to you. Once this is done I feel you are well on your way to becoming the YOU that you know and recognize. No one wants to feel helpless but PPD makes you feel this way and you have to get help for the betterment of yourself, your adorable new child and your family. Just as much as you want to see yourself get better so do they.

PPD is very serious and without care can turn into a continuous nightmare not that it already isn’t the worst thing any mother can imagine going through. But I got through it because I wanted to get better and I knew I help to aide in the process and I couldn’t just wait for this monster to go away.

Get help and get it now, was the best advice anyone could have given me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment