Monday, May 2, 2011

I'm a survivor

This blog has been on my to do list for some time now. Since my conquer with postpatum depression and even during my treatment, I knew that I wanted to help others. Postpartum depression is a very serious disease/illness that does not get enough recognition. The media only decides to post or publish a story after a serious/tragic event or death has occurred. But who will help us before this happens? 

Postpartum Depression has multiple levels; and more than half of the women whom suffer don't want to kill themselves nor their children. Surprising right? But this is still very serious due to the many symptoms that can lead to tragedy, death and family separation. 

This list includes: (courtesy of Web MD)
  • Inability to sleep or sleeping more than normal  
  • Change in appetite  
  • Extreme concern and worry about the baby or a lack of interest or feelings for the baby  
  • Feeling unable to love the baby or your family  
  • Anger toward the baby, your partner, or other family members  
  • Anxiety or panic attacks  
  • Fear of harming your baby; these thoughts may be obsessive, and you may be afraid to be left alone in the house with your baby.  
  • Irritability  
  • Sadness or excessive crying  
  • Difficulty concentrating or remembering  
  • Feelings of doubt, guilt, helplessness, hopelessness, or restlessness  
  • Lethargy or extreme fatigue  
  • Loss of interest in hobbies or other usual activities  
  • Mood swings marked by exaggerated highs and lows  
  • Feeling emotionally numb  
  • Numbness or tingling in your arms or legs  
  • Hyperventilating  
  • Frequent calls to the pediatrician with an inability to be reassured  
  • Recurrent thoughts of death, which may include thinking about or even planning suicide  
  • Obsessive-compulsive thoughts and behaviors that are intrusive

 Serious still!! However, even what the media considers as not so serious cases, are still very serious because they effect the lives of mothers, fathers, grandparents, aunts, uncles, sisters, brothers and friends.  Women like myself still suffer a lot from this emotional and physically draining illness. This illness should be taken seriously, because it could make a difference between life and death. 

In this blog, I plan to not only reveal some my most intimate and traumatic exeriences and memories with PPD but I also plan to discuss the other things in my life that were and still are effected by my struggle with PPD. Some of these things include relationship troubles, health problems, self esteem building, guilt, feeling lost and alone and much more.

This blog will include postings from not only myself, but also from some of my very memorable friends as well as other suffers and survivors I have met along my journey through the dark cloud of PPD.

I truly hope that you stick around to learn more about my true journey through PPD and life after.

Forever Always,
Shannon

3 comments:

  1. Sweet Shannon...So happy to read your 1st blog and be your 1st follower! You and I had the unfortunate luck of bonding in our PPD support group...but I am forever grateful we did and glad a major positive came from such a disastrous mental illness Postpartum was in my life not once but twice! I would gladly guest-write on your blog or just be happy to continue our journey to mental wellness via your honest and helpful BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you Shannon and how far you have come. I remember a few phone calls with you and i felt so at a loss, not really knowing what to do or say to help. So glad you are doing this and putting some information out there so that others may be helped and know how to help. God bless your efforts and may His peace be with you. Love you! Char

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! I didn't know u were going thru so much... & I feel guilty being so mad because I could get ahold of my friend or understand what was going on with her..I am happy that you got passed this terrible disease....I myself don't know how it feels but I know it was hard to deal with a lot things in your life when going thru ppd . I have heard that some pregnant women do get it unfortunately and it can affect your life completely and my cousin had ppd when she was last pregnant... and plus she was stressed hair falling out. with family, friends and God you will forever have a strong godly protection & shield for your time in need. love you ever ..... you will always be my friend in Christ. esteena

    ReplyDelete